Introducing Challenges 2.0
Burn Challenges and New Challenge Mechanics
We have made incredible progress on all engagement features and mostly on Challenges. We are happy to announce that in the week of December 5th, the first Transfer Challenge (”Burn Challenge”) will go live. We’ll cover the latest improvements, new features, and tell you about the first-ever Transfer Challenge on Aera.
Challenges are evolving (fast)
It’s been almost three weeks since the last update about Challenges. If you have missed the blog post, you can catch up here:
Before we announce exciting new features and mechanics, we quickly look back to reflect what we have achieved and what we’re planning to deliver.
What we have achieved and delivered:
- Higher Cadence (’More Challenges’): We have accelerated our process and we have launched 12 Challenges in 19 days and in the week of Nov 14th, we had daily Challenges. ✅
- Reward Scarcity (’More Reactiveness’): For the first time, we had Challenges like Total Tonali or Absolute Africa where the scarcity of the reward was based on the number of completions. ✅
- Teasing of Challenges (’More Communication’): We have given hints in Discord for almost every Challenge — we certainly felt those alpha-leaks were a fun puzzle for our community members. ✅
- Winner Announcement (’More Transparency’): All Challenge winners, their votings on rewards and what they have won can be seen in our weekly winner announcement list. ✅
What we still owe the community:
- Challenge Types (’More Variability’): We have teased that Transfer Challenges are coming. Today we are thrilled to share the very first Transfer Challenge with the community. ✅
- Moment Categories (’More Variability’): Up until now, you always needed four specific Moments to complete Challenges. Today we announce that we have released a selection modal that allows you to choose Moments based on categories. ✅
- Number of Moments (’More Variability’): Today we’re still bound to 4 building blocks per Challenge. We will begin adding variability to the total number of building blocks in a Challenge soon.
- Automated Airdrop (’More Reactiveness’): We continue with our Airdrop Thursdays to give a reliable airdrop date. The systems are prepared for an automated process and we will be releasing this to the platform soon.
Transfer Challenges have arrived
A new type of Challenge is making its debut on the Aera platform today. Transfer Challenges have arrived, incentivising collectors to transfer Moments out of their collection — permanently — in exchange for exclusive Serie A Moments, Aera Packs, Web3 utility, and IRL (’In real life’) rewards.
Transfer Challenges enhance the utility of all moments in circulation — now you can own, sell, and ‘burn’ your assets. Through burning, we’re empowering the community with a new tool to control the supply of Moments based on value.
Creating value for Moments across the entire collection
Our objectives with the introduction of Transfer Challenges are about creating value in the most illiquid and inflated stock of our collectibles — and, expanding the experiences our collectors can engage with to receive rewards. The main advantages are the following:
- Upgrade your collection: By transferring Moments out of your collection, you as a collector can upgrade your collection and secure exclusive Moments. This could mean to transfer 4 Common Moments to receive a Rare Moment.
- Get rid of Moments: So far, the only meaningful way to get rid of Moments in your collection was to sell them on the marketplace. Now you have another way to divest collectibles that you own multiple times.
- A new strategic level: For every Transfer Challenge, it’s important to consider the impact. If a lot of collectors are burning the same Moment, it might actually be worth not taking part — or acquire the building block right away. New game theories apply!
- Deflationary effect: Collectors will choose their duplicates or Moments that are listed the most on the marketplace. As adoption for Transfer Challenge grows, a deflationary effect will take hold on the Aera marketplace, and the demand will overtake the supply of such Moments.
Burning Moments Made Possible Through Web3
This mechanism is referred to amongst Web3 and NFT enthusiasts as ‘burning’. Under the hood the Transfer Challenge facilitates a new type of transaction from the Aera smart-contract. To participate in a Transfer Challenge, an Aera user takes only 3 simple steps:
- Select required ‘building block’ Moments from your inventory
- When all building blocks are selected, click SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY
- Confirm the entry by clicking COMPLETE CHALLENGE, and sign the Dapper Wallet transaction.
Following the successful execution of the transaction, the user’s Dapper Wallet receives a FLOAT (see section ‘The Challenge Winner FLOAT’) as a marker of Challenge completion — and simultaneously the user’s submitted Moments are going to be destroyed.
When they’re gone, they’re gone
The burn wallet is preventing any deposited Moments (NFTs) ever being transferred out of the wallet. Not by you, not by Aera, not by anyone.
⚠️ Caution: When you take part in a Transfer Challenge, you will lose the selected Moments permanently. There is nothing that the Aera team can do for you as we don’t have access to the burned Moments.
To see how the Transfer Challenges work, go through the short tutorial here.
Your Proof of Completion
Whilst your building blocks are ‘burned’ and gone forever — your successes on the Transfer Challenge will persist. FLOATs (’Flow attendance tokens’) will be used a token to mark users who have completed a Transfer Challenge.
- First come, first served: With this new mechanism of identifying winners we unlock a new dimension of ranking winners through the order of completion. So, keep a close eye on upcoming announcements regarding Challenges where the prizes for the quickest wallet to burn the required Moments could net rewards far-exceeding the value of the normal prizes on offer!
- On-chain track record: So far, the Challenge completion was tracked in the Aera systems and can be retraced by checking the blockchain transactions. By receiving the FLOAT, you have a permanent token and record of your Challenge participation — 100% on-chain.
Once the Challenge has expired — we will pull the list of user wallets who received the FLOAT and deliver the airdrop of your digital reward following our Airdrop Thursday process.
A New Component to Build Challenge Entries
In order to enable Transfer Challenges, the team at Aera have designed a new frontend component packed full of exciting features — Challenge Builder.
- Moment categories: Challenge requirements can now be expanded to any level of our Moments metadata, so look out for Challenges that require building blocks for any Rarity, Play Type, or Club instead of four specific Moments.
- Selection modal: It’s essential to give full control to the Moments that are burnt through Transfer Challenge — especially when you need to transfer ‘any Rare’. That’s why we’ve developed a selection modal. It will provide you a filtered list of the Moments you own and that can be used for the Challenge.
- Entry validation: Throughout the Challenge entry flow we’re checking against the marketplace to ensure you can’t burn listed Moments, and that the same collectible is not selected twice.
- Will you be able to select the moments that will be burned? Yes, you are in full control and you need to confirm twice.
- Is it possible to complete one challenge multiple times? No, you you can only complete it once — burn once and get the reward only once. The Challenge page will show you that you have already completed the Challenge.
- If the first completion is rewarded with a special prize, will you have challenges for different time zones? Yes, we will take that into account. We won’t use this mechanic every time and we will announce those Challenges further in advance.
The Big Picture
You have learned in this blog post that Transfer Challenge will enable you to secure exclusive Moments by permanently removing the building blocks from the marketplace. How do you know if it’s worth the effort?
We are already working on more improvements that will affect the entire collection: Badges, Sets and Leaderboard.
Every Moment that is exclusively minted as a Challenge reward will get a reward Badge in the future. That will help you to identify special moments and the context of them. Since the Edition size will always be smaller than the Edition size of the building blocks, the Challenge rewards will be more scarce by default.
Right now, collectors are following their own strategy to collect specific combinations, e.g. all Commons, all Rares or all Juventus Moments. We will introduce Sets in the future that will connect specific Moments conceptually. Imagine it like one page of your collection and your objective is to complete it. Every Moment will be part of a specific Set — the Challenge rewards, the building blocks, the scarcest and the most common Moments.
Will there be rewards for collecting entire Sets? Surely! What kind of rewards? We’ll talk about that when we introduce them officially.
We will soon surface the users completing the most Challenges. This will be introduced in the coming weeks. This feature will help us deliver on our objective to add broader incentives to Challenges, and reward users who have been actively engaged in all types of Aera Challenges over a sustained period.
Will there be rewards for topping the Learderboard? Surely! What kind of rewards? Again, we’ll talk about that when we introduce them officially.
The First Transfer Challenge
We have promised that we will focus more and more on the community members that have joined drop #1. The moments are the highest in circulation — that’s why we start with those Moments in the beginning. Don’t expect anything too crazy, let’s all get used to this new Challenge type step-by-step.
In the first Transfer Challenge, you can turn 4 Attempts into a Goal. The Challenge will go live in the week of 5th December 2022. The reward will be an exclusively minted* Empoli Moment — the winning goal of Filippo Bandinelli on matchday 7.
Edit: The Challenge will go live in the week of 5th December 2022.
Burn those four Moments:
- What could have been for Empoli — Common
- Bologna has options — Common
- Sampdoria’s THUMP — Common
- Crying shame for Sassuolo — Common
*Edition size is defined by number of Challenge completions + 5 extra Moments for Customer Support requests. The Reward will be airdropped on Airdrop Thursday, December 8th 2022.
Any more questions?
Meet us on Discord. Navigate to #serie-a-chat
About Aera by OneFootball
Aera is the NFT marketplace for football fans, a digital collectibles platform featuring the biggest clubs, leagues, federations, and players in football. Built to make digital collectibles accessible to all, Aera is the home for football fans wanting to connect and share their passion in the digital space. When fans think about football collectibles, they should think about Aera. The Aera marketplace is built by OneFootball Labs.
About OneFootball Labs
The OneFootball Labs joint venture is set to deliver a new era of football fan consumption, providing accessible, affordable, and unique fan experiences that will drive mass adoption of blockchain technology in football. These products will be offered at different price points to make them widely accessible, and fans will also be able to purchase and store digital collectibles with just their email and a credit card. Animoca Brands, the company advancing digital property rights for gaming and the metaverse, OneFootball, the world’s largest football media platform, and Liberty City Ventures are part of the joint venture.
To join the project and community, connect with Aera by OneFootball on our Website, Twitter, Instagram, Discord follow the Medium publications